Friday, March 25, 2011

Podcasts in the Classroom

I regularly use my iPhone to listen to the podcast, “This American Life.”  During my first semester of college, my professor suggested listening to the program, and I have been streaming it ever since.  My favorite thing is that the newest podcast downloads automatically, and it is on my computer the next time I log in.  Then, all I have to do is plug in my phone, and I’m ready to listen.  I really enjoyed learning more about podcasts, especially in the classroom.  I think it could be a great tool in the classroom, especially in lecture-centered subjects.  In my classroom, I would love to be able to record my lectures so that students could download them if they missed class or simply wanted to review the day’s material.  This could be a great supplement for note-taking and studying. 
     Podcasting, like the other types of Web 2.0 technology we have discussed, allows students and teachers to connect outside the four walls of the classroom.  Podcasts can provide additional, supplemental information, in-depth information on similar and connected topics, and allow for a springboard for discussions in class and out.  Blogs and classroom websites are similar in this way.  Voice Threads are almost like a combination of blogs, wikis, and podcasts.  Participants can record audio, post discussions, and submit videos.  Each can add to creating a continuing dialogue between teachers and learners.
     I own an iPhone, which comes in handy since it has capabilities.  I can listen to music, take calls, send emails, and even read books I download in e-Books.  I also regularly use my iPhone to listen to the podcast, “This American Life.”  I am really interested in learning more about podcasts in the classroom.  If students could use their mp3 players to get up to speed following an absence, that would be wonderful.  I think listening to a podcast on my iPod would be lots more fun than rereading the lecture notes online or having to come in early for tutorials.  If using this in the classroom, it would be important to set clear boundaries early and remind students that this is a legitimate way to make up class time.  Information from podcasts would definitely be used in assessment as a check for participation and understanding.  It would also be important to remind students that this type of communication is not meant to replace face to face communication with the teacher. Any questions and concerns can still be addressed face to face.  It is a supplement, not a replacement. 
 
Lefever, L. (Producer), (2007). Podcasting in Plain English. Available from http://commoncraft.com

No comments:

Post a Comment